Monday, July 7, 2008

Scottsdale Haters

No, I'm not a native, but I've seen my share of the "Dirty Scottsdale" that is portrayed in different media - the $30K millionaires and the cougars hopped up on restylane.



My friend was at a cougar hang out, Ely's, chatting with some older ladies when one of them talked about how she loves that she never gets mosquito bites in Arizona. He answered, nonchalantly, "Well, that's because they're allergic to botox." Ahh, I don't know why he didn't get slapped right there.

Really, you do see your shares of DBs in the club scene and it does get crazy out there. But c'mon, is it Scottsdale's fault? Half the people going to those clubs aren't even from Scottsdale.

Anyway, so what if people have a little more money out here?! So what if the way you can tell the difference between the student and teacher parking lot at the high school is by the number of Hummers, Beamers and Mercedes in the lot. We're not all like that. We have the same problems like everyone else in the valley. Like the traffic to drop of my kids at the elementary school. I still have to line up in that long trail of Range Rovers and wait...and wait...and wait...and I keep waiting, but that damn valet never comes.

We're not all raising "Scottsdale Brats" out here either. My kids work hard for their stuff. If they want an ipod or an x-box, they use their own hard earned money.

This article asks "Why does Scottsdale Hate Itself?"

My answer, it doesn't. I love it out here. It's beautiful. It's laid back. It's safe. My neighbors are friendly. The schools are great. Even our freakin' new library is awesome! (How geeky am I? But really, it's awesome.) I think the real Scottsdale haters are the people who probably aren't from Scottsdale anyway and buy into the Scottsdale stereotype.

So, go ahead, listen to the Scottsdale stereotypes. I laugh at them, too. But that's just what it is, a stereotype. I know what type of "Scottsdale Mom" I am, and it's not the stereotype, nor are all the other "Scottsdale Mom's" I've come to know.

I gotta get going. My nanny has to leave and I've still got to call "Waiters on Wheels" for dinner before I head out to my friends Wine, Cheese, and Botox party.

No comments: