Friday, March 7, 2008

Tri - ing it Indoors


My first Triathlon is this Sunday! Woohoo! I'm excited, nervous, anxious, scared, you name it. I don't know why. This one's going to be a piece of cake.

It's all indoors, in the Lifetime Fitness Gym. Unlike other triathlons, this one is based on time instead of distance. It measures the amount of distance you can cover in a given amount of time.

First, I hop in the pool and swim as many laps as I can in 10 minutes. I'm guessing 8 laps, 400 meters. Then, they give us 10 minutes to get ready for biking. I don't know how I'm going to dry my hair in 10 minutes!! Maybe I will just swim doggie paddle so I don't get my hair wet.

Once in the bike area, you're given 30 minutes to bike as much as you can. The bikes are outfitted with a computer to measure distance. After half an hour of biking, you're given 5 minutes to change shoes and head over to the treadmills. Once there, you run for 20 minutes as fast as you can.

After each discipline is completed, your distance is recorded. The top 3 in men's and women's win an award. HA! I'm not even thinking about that. I just want to do it, just to do it. To finally do a triathlon.

I checked out my "wave", the people scheduled to start out at the same time as I do. In total, there are 64 participants and 10 people in my wave, 3 men and 7 women. The oldest being 52 and the youngest is 31. None of the names look familiar. Maybe, I've seen them around in the gym. Anyway, by Sunday afternoon this will be all over.

After this...an outdoor triathlon sprint. I still need a bike though...

No comments: