Sunday, March 9, 2008

Nice Tri

I think I kinda like the visceral nervous excitement you feel right before an event like this. Your doubts, fears, and anxiety churning in your stomach like a protein shake in the blender. Even though this is as mini as a tri can get, you still get that feeling. I actually am thinking I should go ahead and finally register for the Tri-for-a cure next month.

My Tri Notes.
The swim. We were required to wear the swim caps that were given to us at check in. I usually wear the lycra/spandex swim cap that's soft and easy to put on. They gave us those tight rubber caps that feel like your trying to slip a condom over your head. I did a warm up lap and felt like my head was being squeezed by the thing. Oh well, it's only a 10 minute swim. I did 14 25 m laps, 350 meters.

The bike. We were supposed to have a 10 minute transition, but our swim started 5 minutes late. I was still setting up my bike as my wave started. My hair wasn't as wet as I thought it would be and the drops of water from my hair helped keep me cool. The rubber swim cap actually kept it less wet than it does with the lycra cap.

We weren't allowed to touch the resistance on the bike. Apparently, I have been WAY too easy on myself during spin class because the resistance was about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest I ever go in spin class. I was able to do 9.1 miles in 30 minutes.

The run. The 5 minute transition was plenty of time to change into running shoes and get to the treadmills. But again I wasn't ready for this. They made us set the incline at 2%. I was pretty tired from the earlier events so I ran it at a leisurely pace. Plus, I heard about this from many triathletes, that running right after the bike is a really funky feeling. The transition to using the muscles differently is kinda wierd. My legs were feeling wobbly for the first 5 minutes. I did only 1.76 miles in 20 minutes. Not at all my usual pace.

But I'm done!! I did it!! And I'm proud of myself, despite the pace. To treat myself, I headed to the cafe for a Strawberry Sunrise Smoothie. The guy at the counter saw my "Tri it Indoors" shirt and told me that it's free if we're a participant. Score!

No comments: