Monday, February 18, 2008

Tri For The Cure

Staying motivated to run has been difficult after the marathon. It's like no longer having any reason to subject myself to the tedious chore. And when I do get depressed enough to go out and run, I've completely lost my groove. I used to be able to get ready to run and out the door in no time flat. Now, I'm running around trying to find all the necessary running acoutrements...my visor, ipod, headphones, stopwatch, sport beans, ipod sport band, nike plus pedometer. By the time I get myself together, I don't feel like going anymore, or my window of opportunity decreases and I have to shorten my run.

I know earlier this year, I resolved to finish my first triathlon in 2008. After doing some searching, I found Tri For The Cure on April 20th in Chandler, AZ. The triathlon is a sprint, so the distances are short and doable. Perfect for my first tri. It's a 400 meter swim in a pool, 9 mile bike and a 2 mile run. It's also an all women's event, and there is a youth triathlon that day, too.

I asked my 11 year old daughter if she'd be interested. Lately, her class has been studying about heart disease, also next year in Middle School she'll be expected to do a lot more running, so I knew she wanted to do something to get into shape. She's very busy in performing arts, but is currently not in any sports. The youth triathlon is just 150 meter swim, 3 mile bike and 0.5 mile run. It's a perfect mother-daughter goal for us to work toward.

I'm looking forward to blogging about our training sessions. Today, we did a short run, 0.5 mi. She stopped frequently for side cramps, or to tie her shoe or catch her breath. I'm sure she'll get in to shape in no time. Tomorrow we'll see how her swimming is afterschool.

No comments: